We are developing an ambitious agenda for the J. Lewis Crozer Library of Chester, PA. The Library Assistant position is central to supporting the library’s mission and will play a pivotal role in building on the history and high regard in which community members hold the library, in preparation for a bold future. The successful candidate will be committed to supporting the Library’s Director and Assistant Director in the design and delivery of the highest quality library and information services.
This position is part-time, approximately 20-22 hours per week, to include some Saturdays. $9.00-$10.00 Per-hour commensurate with experience.
Reporting to the Head of Circulation, the Library Assistant’s duties include:
• Act as first contact for patrons: answering questions, locating library materials, use of the computer catalogue and databases.
• Assist patrons with scanning, faxing and copying.
• Offer assistance with computer and printing issues/questions.
• Carry out basic circulation procedures, including, but not limited to:
o Checking items in and out to patrons
o Providing guest passes for computer use
o Registering new patrons
o Handling patron transactions, such as collecting fines, hold requests, renewals, program registrations, etc.
o Processing patron notices and bills
o Tracking down missing items, as well as those in-transit for long periods of time
o Process returns and holds from other libraries via the county delivery system
o Maintain order of shelves by shelf reading and edging the shelves as needed
• Provide information to patrons about library programs and services.
• Answer and properly handle or route incoming phone calls.
• Make phone calls as needed for holds, program reminders, etc.
• Assist in implementation and application of library policies.
• Maintain public bulletin boards and information centers according to policy.
• Carry out opening and closing procedures.
• Assist in training and supervising volunteers who work in the public side of the library.
• Practice safety at all times and report any safety concerns promptly.
• Participate in scheduled educational and developmental activities, such as staff in-service days, staff meetings, job-related seminars, webinars, workshops and technology training as well as job-related committees.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent required; some college preferred. Experience in libraries preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrable competence in:
o Customer service skills
o Communication skills, both oral and written
o Telephone skills
o Basic computer skills
o Basic mathematical skills
• Ability to:
o Maintain effective working relationships with others
o Demonstrate courtesy and empathy
PA State Child Abuse History and Criminal Record clearances as required by PA state law upon employment as well as the Federal (FBI) Criminal History Report.
The J. Lewis Crozer Library belongs to the Delaware County Library System and is conveniently located between Philadelphia and Wilmington, DE. The library has 6 full-time and 4 part-time professional and support staff positions and serves a population of approximately 34,000.
Send letter of application and resume, with contact information for three professional references, to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject line should read-Library Assistant position). Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
J. Lewis Crozer Library
620 Engle St
Chester, PA 19013