Part-Time Grant Funded Position
J. Lewis Crozer Library
Based in Devon, Pennsylvania, the Uncommon Individual Foundation (UIF) is a non-profit leader in mentor-based learning. UIF helps individuals and organizations become successful by providing subject-matter mentoring in business, technology, education, and media. Building on the Foundation’s work with schools in Delaware County, UIF is partnering with the J. Lewis Crozer Library, the public library in Chester, to expand the Foundation’s reach and impact in the community.
From the Crozer Library Mission Statement: The library actively supports schools and collaborates with other partners to enhance learning and to promote reading education within the community we serve.
The Library and the Foundation invite applications for a newly-developed, part-time position.
Primary responsibility is to serve as a liaison between Crozer Library, UIF, and the local schools and community partners. In doing so, the MIR will help to guide the overall UIF/Crozer experience both within and outside of the technologically-enhanced Mentoring & Innovation Center through community-wide relationship-building and collaboration with Library and UIF staff to develop, implement, and coordinate subject-matter mentoring, programming and services designed to address community identified needs.
The ideal candidate will work closely with the library and Foundation staff in:
• Completion of training related to the mentoring-based programs offered by the Uncommon Individual Foundation and the educational programs offered by the library.
• Work with the Crozer Library Director, librarians and UIF administrators and staff in tailoring the design and delivery of the UIF programs in this new context.
• Provide UIF mentoring programs to individuals and groups of youth and adults.
• Support the librarians in the delivery of the comprehensive program of library services, involving active engagement and programming with schools and other organizational partners.
Working under the direction of the Crozer Library Director, the MIR will provide support and subject-matter mentoring for local schools and community partners. In conjunction with existing library programs, the MIR will help facilitate engaged learning workshops, small group, and individual mentoring in areas related to entrepreneurship, technology, college and career readiness, youth literacy, and media and communications.
The MIR will be trained on teaching library research skills and other library programs, administering UIF subject-matter mentoring (one-on-one and in small groups), and coordinating additional UIF mentoring services at the Library.
What we are looking for:
• The successful candidate will possess effective communication skills, the ability to work in a team setting, and be committed to outreach and the delivery of the highest quality services for youth and adults.
• The individual must possess the ability to be a self-starter and learn complex material quickly.
• This dynamic individual is well-organized, with strong time management skills and the ability to multitask.
• A combination of educational credentials and proven work experience, providing preparation for the range of position responsibilities.
• Experience in working with children and/or young adults, in teaching, coaching, or mentoring roles
• Familiarity with the Chester, PA community (preferred)
• Ability to work 20-25 hours per week during the school year and up to 30 hours during the summer
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation for outreach and training responsibilities
The J. Lewis Crozer Library belongs to the Delaware County Library System and is conveniently located between Philadelphia and Wilmington, DE at 620 Engle Street, Chester, PA 19013. The library has 6 full-time and 4 part-time professional and support staff positions and serves a population of approximately 34,000.
Pennsylvania criminal and child abuse and FBI background checks required.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume, with contact information for three professional references, to firstname.lastname@example.org
(Subject line should read – MIR Part-time Position).
Attn: Search Committee, UIF Mentor-in-Residence
J. Lewis Crozer Library
620 Engle Street
Chester, PA 19013