The Aston Public Library is seeking a tech-fluent and interpersonally effective person to provide service to our patrons. Duties include providing all types of service to our patrons, operating our circulation system, and record-keeping. Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent, strong computer and customer service skills and a love for libraries. Prior library experience is preferred.
Job description and compensation details are below. Submit letter of interest, resume, and references to Stephen Sarazin, firstname.lastname@example.org
ASTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
LIBRARY ASSOCIATE JOB DESCRIPTION
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Provides essential patron assistance at the service desk.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE POSITION:
Performs customer service, circulation, clerical and financial tasks, operates a variety of machines and software and assists with reference to help patrons use the library and its services effectively. Reports to the Director.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Registers patrons, issuing cards, updating records.
· Collects monies and issues receipts for all library financial transactions including rentals, overdue fines, lost or damaged materials, donations, book sales, printing etc.
· Checks out and checks in books.
· Shelves with 95% accuracy and shelf reads.
· Knows and correctly executes the opening and closing procedures, including locking the doors, arming and disarming the alarm, collecting and checking in materials from the book drop, pulling requested items from the shelves etc.
· Assesses materials for condition and refers them for mending or withdrawal.
· Prepares and mails overdue/reserve notices.
· Places book requests for patrons.
· Calls patrons to inform them of requested items received.
· Troubleshoots computer programs and machines.
· Maintains current training in areas of work, including staying current with practices in:
◦ Online Catalog
· Conducts reference interviews and assists patrons with reference questions, knowing when to refer questions to the Director.
· Locates material in the catalog or in the building.
· Is professional and friendly in person, on the phone or in e-mail.
· Informs the public of library policies and procedures, including information about their own records or requests.
· Keeps bulletin boards and displays current.
· Files records by name or date.
· Supervises volunteers.
· Other duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Is committed to public service values: is patient and helpful with all patrons; cares about patrons and their needs
· Knows and follows library policy and procedures; accepts management's direction when given
· Must be able to learn and meet the minimal competencies for telephone system, web site, staff email and wiki, and be able to operate and troubleshoot technology/software
· Knows and follows safety procedures, pointing out problems and keeping equipment in satisfactory condition
· Keeps informed on library issues: reads emails, attends staff meetings
· Keeps skills current and growing: attends required trainings, actively seeks opportunities to learn new things
· Shares knowledge and skills: documents procedures, trains others to do tasks
· Works well with others, including patrons, volunteers, and fellow staff
· Is flexible, has a good sense of humor about the irritations of daily work life, and respects the feelings and needs of co-workers
· Understands that change and evolving library procedures are constants in library work
· Is sensitive to patron privacy and intellectual freedom issues
· Is a good office citizen: submits timecard weekly, keeps work and break area clean, responds to emails and requests promptly, has a positive attitude
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Works effectively under stress with the public and co-workers.
· Demonstrates courtesy and empathy.
· Communicates well in writing and face to face. Performs essential clerical and math functions--filing, spelling, typing, adding, making change--accurately.
· Uses the Windows operating system, basic office software, web browsing and search engines skillfully.
· Shifts from one task to another quickly.
· Moves book trucks with 25 pounds of weight.
· Shelves books at heights between seven feet and floor level.
· Reads small print and computer screens.
· Handles monotonous tasks with fine detail accurately.
· Works independently and demonstrates good judgment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Moderate physical effort is required to perform duties under typical office conditions. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, speak, hear, and use hands to operate office equipment, and reach with hands and arms. Vision requirements include the ability to read routine and complex documents and use a computer.
SCHEDULE REQUIREMENTS: Must be available to work day, night or weekend shifts. Must be available to work a schedule that fulfills the staffing needs of the desk. Must be punctual and dependable.
Approximate anticipated hours -
Monday and Wednesday 10AM-3PM , Friday 10AM-5PM, Two to Three Saturdays per month: 10AM-5PM
Wednesday and Thursday 3PM-8PM, Friday 10AM-5PM, Two to Three Saturdays per month: 10AM-5PM
COMPENSATION: $11.75 per hour. Approximately 20 work hours per week. No benefits provided.
CLEARANCES: Satisfactory passage of FBI Criminal Record Check, Pennsylvania Criminal History
and Child Abuse Clearances will be required every three years.
PROBATION: The position is probationary for one year and non-probationary afterwards.